Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Eating More Consciously

I picked up the book Skinny Bitch, which was recommended by a friend. I only skimmed a paragraph, and I knew I should not have even looked at it. What is supposed to be an "eat like a skinny chick" book is actually a tome about the harsh realities of the food chain. That kind of stuff sticks with me for the rest of my life. Any story about animal abuse just upsets me deeply. And always has. (I've actually taken Animal Planet out of my TV's because I cannot even pass by Animal Cops when flipping channels. Yes, this is the same person who watches forensics shows for fun.)

I've recently realized that although I don't eat any kind of meat, poultry, seafood or eggs, I am still a part of the whole nasty issue because I continue to eat dairy on a limited basis.


I just can't be a part of it any longer. Dairy cows are a very large and undeniable part of the food chain.

I never make a big deal about being a vegetarian. I don't lecture people about animal rights, I don't particularly care what those around me eat (although I'm becoming more likely to say something innocuous if someone orders veal when they're dining with me), and I think PETA is a well-meaning but misguided joke.

I am always asked why I became a veg and how long I have been one.

I've told this story so many times. I found out what steak was when I was about 6 years old. By 8, I was a full-fledged vegetarian. To me at the time, eating meat (of any kind) was akin to eating my poodle Sherry. Vegetarianism is truly not the healthiest choice for a little kid, but my parents were powerless to stop little Kristen. She was (and is) incredibly stubborn and hard-headed and always knows what's best for her (regardless of if it is or not).

So I'm now a full-time vegan. I don't think I'm going back.

No comments: