Thursday, October 11, 2007

When it Rains, it Pours

I would have had an exciting week without all the stuff happening in my own backyard.

All hell broke loose Wednesday in Cleveland. The first sign was the black smoke billowing from behind the trees. What the--? Then I heard a train had exploded. This happened about 3 miles from home, so that was of immediate concern for me

I turned on the TV to see what was up
. Ethanol was burning and they were trying to keep a tank filled with propane from exploding. Scary stuff. So close to home....

And then I saw the school shooting on the national news.

Cleveland rarely makes the national news, but twice on the same day? I hate to say that it was kind of exciting in a weird sort of way.

I don't want to speculate on the state of local schools or the shooter's personal demons that drove him to this act. I don't know enough of the facts to make any bold proclamations.

But -

Know what I'm thankful for?

That the kid was obviously a poor shot and only he ended up dead. This could have been SO much worse.

I certainly hope administrators will listen to students when they tell them another student is a threat. We always hear that there are warning signs before someone commits an act like this. Why wasn't the principal listening? I heard she said she was "too busy."

And how much would it realistically cost to have metal detectors that actually work and are used regularly?

Will this change anythng? I certainly hope so, but I don't have much faith. But I do know this - the national news is not where we want to be.

L
et's prevent this from happening again.

No comments: