Saturday, June 11, 2011

The New Neutrals:

ARMY GREEN

I remember showing a friend a new apricot-colored top I bought and she asked what I was planning to wear it with. Then she started naming the colors that came to her mind: navy, brown, and .....? That was it. That was as far as her imagination could go in creating interesting outfits. I told her my plan was to put it under a burgundy jacket and she was shocked. She thought you could only pair "colors" with "the basics."

When most people think of those "neutral" or "basic" colors to build their wardrobe around, most people will name the same ones - black, gray, navy, brown or beige. To that I say: YAWN.

Let's start expanding our wardrobe horizons. It's perfectly OK to take a few safe steps out of our familiar fashion comfort zone.

This is the first installment of a series about colors I've found are more basic than you might realize. Adding a few well-chosen "new neutrals" could dramatically expand your wardrobe possibilities!

I never thought about wearing army green until I bought a faux-camouflage skirt from Ann Taylor a couple of years ago. Even though it was patterned, I was genuinely surprised at the amount of colors that looked great with it. I don't just mean the colors you would normally mix and match with dark green, such as shades of brown and beige. I discovered that it looked fabulous with yellows, all sorts of pink and aqua, coral, orange and even baby blue and lavender! How versatile is that?! 

As I tell my clients, it's the confident use of color and little surprise flourishes that make it look like you know what you're doing. And that's how to have real style. Or fake it - which is just as good!

Expanding on my army green collection, I bought twill shorts which I paired with a pink satin top.


Can you imagine all the possibilities of adding an army green skirt, pants or jacket to your casual or professional wardrobe?

Be on the lookout for some of these new basics to add new life to your closet! You can thank me later :)

No comments: