Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gluten-Free Egg Beaters® "Pizza"

I know this is a style blog, but I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy a few months ago and it has been a pretty transformational time for me. I'm sharing this because I know a LOT of people who have Celiac or issues with gluten - or choose to be wheat-free for other reasons.

When I knew I had to give up the wheat, I most worried about craving pizza. my favoritest food. The nearest gluten-free pizza joint is about 20 minutes away and I just don't feel like driving there whenever the mood strikes me - because the craving is usually gone by then.

I don't normally cook, so if I make something edible, it's like WOW. And these are actually better than edible!


Gluten-Free Egg Beaters® Pizza

Preheat oven to 385 degrees.

Lightly coat a small skillet with butter.

Shake Egg Beaters® well and pour a thin layer into the skillet on medium heat.

As if making an omelet, lift the sides of the egg as they are cooking and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath. Do this until the top is fairly well cooked. (Do NOT fold.)

Pour a second thin layer on top and do the same. The idea is to have a substantive "crust" for your pizza.

When the top layer of egg is almost completely cooked, turn off burner and slide egg crust onto greased aluminum foil. Top with pizza sauce, cheese and whatever you like. I'm all about peppers and olives, obviously. (One trick I've been doing is raiding the grocery store's salad bar for my toppings. It's good for making several of these because I can get exactly how much I need.)

Bake on 385 until cheese gets brown and bubbly (about 15 minutes).

Remove and eat or cool, wrap in wax paper and store in fridge.

It does need to be eaten with a fork and knife since the egg "crust" isn't stiff like a real crust. It could also probably be eaten folded or rolled up too. And if I get really ambitious, maybe I'll try making it into a calzone sometime.

No comments: