Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Headache Kit

When I get a headache, I usually end up hunting for my favorite meds, which seem to move around. They're never in the same place twice, depending on where I got the headache.

So I created a headache kit, which is working well so far. I had a bad one over the weekend and I grabbed it and kept it with me until I felt better.

Here's what's in it:

Excedrin Migraine (seems to be my wonder drug - it really works)

Sleep mask (I become sensitive to light if I have a migraine)

Generic "Headache Reliever"

Excedrin Tension Headache (this used to work for me, not so much anymore)

Eucalyptus & Spearmint spray - I spray it on my sleep mask

The Healing Garden Tangerinetherapy headache relief gel (I don't think it's around anymore, but it's available on ebay) - I rub it on my temples and it feels good.

And finally, not in the kit, but definitely a part of it:
My fabric beanbag compress that stays cold in the freezer for when I need it

Those are the items that have always helped me. Now they're in a convenient kit! I would love to hear if anyone else has suggestions.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For years growing up, I had to take prescription stuff for my migraines. I finally got a doctor that was very helpful in teaching me relaxation techniques to get rid of the migraines, and I began to rely on the prescription meds less and less.

For the past 10 years, I've been fine with over the counter stuff - Excedrin Migraine is my wonder drug as well...thank goodness - used to get really bad migraines as a kid that would keep me in bed for a couple of days...

Kristen Kaleal said...

Matt - it's surprising how many people from our generation and younger have grown up with headaches. Then I look at my grandparents, ages 91 and 89, who have both told me on numerous occasions that neither has ever had a headache. And they lived through the Great Depression!

Most of my headaches are from wheat intolerance and TMJ (which mimics migraines), but when you think about it, it can't be overlooked that ours was the first group raised on chemical food additives and preservatives.

Sad that we've had to suffer for it.

Allison M. said...

I'm lucky to say I don't suffer from migraines. When I do feel a headache, I take a few naproxen sodiums to fix the problem.

I love a good sleep mask!

Narm said...

Booze? Am I the only one that would ad booze to this list?

Ivonne said...

I can't believe we both got killer migraines over the weekend and the caffeine in the pills kept us up all night. I went to bed at 6am. You?