Tuesday, September 02, 2008

RIP - Jerry Reed

I just heard the Smokey and the Bandit music and then learned Jerry Reed passed away at 71 due to complications from emphysema.

I have a few good memories of him. I'll bet anyone who is around my age can identify with all of these:

Of course, Snowman in the Smokey movies.

Coach Red Beaulieu in The Waterboy

Extra Credit:
And an episode of Scooby Doo - The Phantom of the Country Music Hall. Remember it? No one could find him - they could hear him singing because he was locked up in the basement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow - you brought up several things about Jerry Reed that I had forgotten about/wasn't aware of.

As a musician, Jerry Reed was very well respected within the music scene, and guitarist Eric Johnson (he of Cliffs of Dover fame) paid tribute to Jerry with his song "Tribute to Jerry Reed" which was on his 2005 solo album Bloom.

I didn't know about the Scooby Doo appearance! Awesome! He did so much...

R.I.P.