Monday, September 08, 2008

If you call me....

...about engaging my assistance in helping your image consulting business, please don't do this:

Tell me you are also an image consultant and invite me to come to you to let you pick my brain about my business.

No, ma'am. That is not how it works.

Over the past few years, I have become more and more prominent in my line of work, especially in this area. I know that it seems like a glamorous profession, and I can see why a lot of people are interested in it.

But you would not believe how brash and self-serving some people are in contacting me just so that I can tell them how I succeeded.

It's not that I am selfish or keeping it all to myself. I have a specific forum where I share and help others in my industry. I cannot understand why people have the audacity to expect that I would make a special trip and waste my time so that I can help them, when in essence, they would be competing with my business.

The call I just received really annoyed me. Like several others who have reached out to me, the sense of expectation and entitlement was unbelievable.

This is quite different from the people who contact me as the local president of the Image Consultants Association (AICI), where it is my job to promote the organization, increase membership and provide education opportunities to our members. The problem is that a lot of people want something for nothing - no effort, no cost. I invited this young woman to our meeting on 9/21 and she pretty much ignored me.

When I first started to become successful, I actually did meet with people so they could ask me questions. I did way too much of that. It stopped when someone met with me and told me how she would do what I do, except how she would do it better. Okay, good luck then. I have no idea what happened to her.

The best I can do is point everyone to our AICI meetings and continue to share my knowledge and experience at our events.

Ugh.

No comments: