Monday, April 23, 2007

Speaking in Soundbites

I spent the day today with a team from Channel 19 news shooting the footage for the segments which will be on this Thursday and Friday. Anchor Danielle Serino, the segment producer and camerman and I went shopping undercover for bargains at Value City, Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx, and "Cheapie" Dillards at what used to be Euclid Square Mall.

I was explaining to Danielle exactly why I love hitting these kinds of places. It's because nothing thrills me more than finding that one amazing bargain or that once-in-a-lifetime find - like my $8 Escada jacket from the Salvation Army that I happened upon when I was there hunting for Halloween costume supplies. It's hard to explain why I will sometimes brave the bad lighting, inhospitable conditions, and merchandise all over the floor in order to find something that I truly, truly love and cannot live without. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's magical.

My shopping methods are not for everyone, that's for sure. But I think Danielle was convinced when she found a real treasure - a simply gorgeous red Jessica McClintock gown - for under $20 at Dillards. You have to hunt, but when you find something spectacular, it's worth it!!

We finished the day with a seated interview. I forgot how tough it is to speak in soundbites - to narrow your message down to its very essence. Hey, you only have a few seconds to get your point across. It gets easier and easier every time I do an interview, but it's still a strange and surreal world for me. Nothing in my past has prepared me for this, so I'm still just relying on my instincts.

I am pleased to say that I'm doing pretty well so far.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

This style of shopping is essential when for people on a budget like me! I've been having a difficult time locating good discounted men's clothing, however. I prefer a more slim cut and most stuff out there is more boxy, older -- aimed at guys in their 40s and 50s, I guess.